Chocolate Peanut Butter PROTEIN French Toast
Some would argue that peanut butter and chocolate are one of the best combinations ever!
Reese, the Mad Wizard of peanut butter and chocolate, starting selling peanut butter cups back in 1928 – then called “penny cups” as they only cost one penny each at that time.
But why is it that chocolate and peanut butter are a flavour power couple?
This irresistible match is partially thanks to a phenomenon called “dynamic sensory contrast,” according to Gregory Ziegler, a Penn State University professor of food science who studies chocolate.
Ziegler explained that our taste buds love when foods have contrasting textures. The smooth, tantalizing taste of chocolate, and the sweet, nutty taste of peanut butter, provide a pleasing contrast.
Now take this perfect duo and turn it into a healthy recipe – it’s a win-win all around!
Celebrate the weekend with this healthy and delicious Protein French Toast recipe by Nutritionist Allison Sherkin.
Chocolate PB Protein French Toast Recipe
(serving size: 1)
½ cup liquid egg whites
¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3 tablespoons chocolate protein powder
1 teaspoon cacao powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon honey
2 slices bread
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips (70% or higher)
Dash of coconut oil for cooking
1) In a bowl mix together egg whites, protein powder, cacao powder, almond milk, vanilla and honey or stevia.
2) Place the bread in the egg mixture and let it soak for about 5 minutes on each side.
3) Heat a little bit of coconut oil on a skillet and add the bread.
4) Cook each side until golden brown (3-4 minutes).
5) Drizzle peanut butter over top and garnish with dark chocolate chips.
Looking for more healthy breakfast ideas? Try these Chocolate Cherry Pancakes.