Peach, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
…with a secret ingredient
One of the best things about summer is all the abundance of seasonal fruits and vegetables.
During the months of July and August Ontario Farmer’s Markets are bursting with delicious locally grown peaches.
Peaches are a stone fruit also called a drupe; a fruit with a large “stone” inside. The stone is sometimes called the seed, but that’s a mistake, as the seed is actually inside the stone!
Peaches have a long list of health benefits. They are abundant in vitamins, including vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, and niacin; as well as the minerals potassium, copper, manganese, and phosphorous.
For a list of Mississauga markets, check out the latest blog by Look Local Mississauga.
While this salad can be made all year round, why not celebrate the season’s freshest peaches at your next BBQ with this delicious recipe?
The secret ingredient in this salad…Candied Curry Pecans!! Pecans promote heart health, are packed with high antioxidant levels, and help reduce inflammation. These candied pecan treats will make your salad extra special.
Peach Arugula & Goat Cheese Salad Recipe
(serving size: 4)
Honey Vinaigrette Dressing:
2 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Pinch of sea salt
Instructions for Dressing:
1) Place all the above vinaigrette ingredients into a mason jar and shake until mixed.
Candied Curry Pecans:
¼ cup pecans
1 tbsp raw honey
½ tsp curry powder
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp butter
Directions for Pecans:
1) Place pecans, honey, curry powder, and sea salt in a small frying pan and bring them to a boil over medium-high heat.
2) Boil until the pan is dry, about 2 minutes.
3) Remove the pan from the heat and stir in butter to prevent the pecans from sticking together.
4 ripe but firm peaches
½ tsp avocado oil (or can use any neutral flavoured oil)
5 oz baby arugula
½ cup blueberries
¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
(can swap out cheese for a diced avocado if want Paleo or Dairy-Free option)
Directions for Salad:
1) Preheat your BBQ to high.
2) Cut the peaches in half and remove the seeds. Then cut each peach half into three wedges.
3) Place the peaches in a medium-sized bowl and toss with the oil.
4) Grill the peaches for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the peaches from the grill
5) Place the arugula in a large bowl with the goat cheese, curry pecans, blueberries, and grilled peaches.
6) Toss with dressing and serve immediately.