Spice of Life – 5 Health Benefits of Curry Powder
By Nutritionist: Kelly Carter BASc (Hons), CNP
Curry powder is a popular spice mix that has a number of valuable health benefits. It’s easy to take this spice for granted even though it’s a simple way of adding depth and warmth to liven up a stir fry or adding a pinch or two in a soup.
The most common and beneficial ingredients of curry powder are turmeric, coriander, cardamom, cumin, sweet basil and red pepper. The key ingredient is Turmeric. Studies have shown that turmeric, and its main active component curcumin, can help prevent everything from Alzheimer’s disease to cancer.
The Health Benefits of Curry Powder Include:
• Prevents Alzheimer’s Disease
• Prevents Cancer
• Relieves Pain & Inflammation
• Boosts immune system
• Improves digestive health
Give this delicious veggie curry recipe a try – perfect on a cold winter day!
Warming Veggie Curry Recipe
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
½ cup broccoli, cut into florets
1 cup cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ cup onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons curry powder
½ cup vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1. Heat oil in non stick pan over medium heat and add sweet potato, sautéing for 3 minutes
2. Add broccoli, cauliflower, onion, garlic and curry powder and cook for a few minutes
3. Add broth, chickpeas and tomato. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover for 10 minutes
4. Stir occasionally and serve with fresh cilantro
Looking for more healthy advice and recipes? Click here for a free 15-minute nutrition consultation with one of our Nutritionists.